This is a weekly staple at my house. My husband, who is open to healthier versions of comfort foods, but also loves his cheese, gobbles this up. The "cheese" is made up of veggies red potatoes, Earth Balance buttery spread, and a few spices, but it tastes like a creamy mild cheddar. YUMMMM...
Vegan Mac and Cheese (Gluten Free)
4 quarts water
1 tablespoon sea salt
8 ounces Quinoa Macaroni or Shells
4-ish tbsp. Gluten Free Breadcrumbs
1/3 cup Earth Balance Buttery Spread
2 tablespoons shallots, peeled and chopped
1 cup red or yellow potatoes, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup carrots, peeled and chopped
1/3 cup onion, peeled and chopped
1 cup water
1/4 cup raw cashews
2 teaspoons sea salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon paprika
- In a large pot, bring the water and salt to a boil. Add macaroni and cook until al dente. In a colander, drain pasta and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a saucepan, add shallots, potatoes, carrots, onion, and water, and bring to a boil. Cover the pan and simmer for 15 minutes, or until vegetables are very soft.
- In a blender, process the cashews, salt, garlic, 1/3 cup margarine, mustard, lemon juice, black pepper, and cayenne. Add softened vegetables and cooking water to the blender and process until perfectly smooth.
- In a large bowl, toss the cooked pasta and blended cheese sauce until completely coated. Spread mixture into a 9 x 12 casserole dish, sprinkle with prepared breadcrumbs, and dust with paprika. Bake for 30 minutes or until the cheese sauce is bubbling and the top has turned golden brown.
- You can also skip the baking step to get a more moist mac and cheese. This is the way I prefer it. The garlic is a little stronger taste this way, but I love that!